Did you enjoy our sweet treats? We promised you some savory breakfasts for those of you who might not like too much sugar in the morning. So here they are! These make easy, delicious Valentine’s Day breakfasts-in-bed and are easily adjusted for your tastes.
1. Eggie Sammie
These have a long history in the Ganci family and they have been known by many names – the Egg McBun, the Carrie Sandwich, the breakfast sandwich. Most recently, however, they have taken on the affectionate and simple, Eggie Sammie. You probably have a similar recipe that you make yourself. Here is just another version for you and your lovie to try this Valentine’s Day!
2 large eggs
2 Morningstar Maple Flavored Sausage patties
2 slices of cheese
Salt & Pepper to taste
2 pieces of bread, toasted
Frank’s Hot Sauce
1. Spray a medium skillet with non-stick spray and heat on medium-high heat. Place sausage patties in and heat through, flipping occasionally. About 8-10 minutes.
2. Spray a separate skillet with non-stick spray and heat on medium-high heat. When the skillet is hot enough that a few drops of water will sizzle break one egg into pan, breaking yoke with the edge of a spatula. Let cook until the bottom starts to firm up. Flip the egg and cook until the other side is finished. Set aside and repeat with second egg.
3. Place one piece of cheese on warm, toasted bread, cover with egg immediately so that the cheese starts to melt. Top with sausage patty. Add salt and pepper to taste.
2. Chicken-Sausage Egg Crescent Rolls
We’ve been really into chicken sausages in our household lately — they’re a great alternative to beef sausage and in my opinion, pack just as much flavor! I adapted these croissants from a recipe I found at Fort Mill SC Living — I subbed out the bacon and sweet onion for chicken sausage and bell peppers, but feel free to combine any of your favorite egg-scramble elements! Think peppers, onions, bacon, mushrooms, ham, etc!
1 (8-ounce) can Pillsbury refrigerated crescent rolls
3 mini chicken sausage links, chopped (I used Organic Smart Chicken Breakfast Sausage links)
1/4 cup diced bell pepper (I used mini red, orange and yellow)
Splash of milk
Salt and pepper to taste
4 slices sharp cheddar cheese, halved to make 8 pieces (I used Sargento’s Ultra Thin)
- Heat oven to 350 degrees.
- Heat nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add chicken sausage and saute about 6-7 minutes or until it starts to brown. Add the diced peppers, and saute an additional 3-4 minutes. You want the peppers to cook a bit, but not get mushy.
- Once sausage and peppers are cooked, turn heat down to low.
- Crack eggs into a bowl, add a splash of milk and black pepper and beat with a whisk. Add to skillet with sausage and peppers, and cook eggs just until set. Remove from heat. Add salt and additional pepper as desired. Do not wash out the bowl you whisked the eggs in — you can use the small amount that remains in the bowl as an egg wash later on.
- Unroll crescent dough and separate into triangles. Top the wide end of each triangle with a halved slice of cheese and the egg-sausage-pepper mixture. Roll up loosely and place on an ungreased baking sheet.
- Brush tops with any leftover egg-milk mixture from the bowl you whisked the eggs in and sprinkle with black pepper.
- Bake 16 to 18 minutes, until golden brown.
This makes 8 crescent rolls — and 2 felt like a perfect serving size for us. We enjoyed these dipped in Frank’s Red Hot Sauce or ketchup. To reheat, just set the oven to 350 degrees, and pop these in for about 8 minutes on a cookie sheet.
Again, happy day from Jaime & Rae, wishing you joy and love and lots of delicious food!
Rae & Jaime